The district had three small elementary schools that where built in the 1950’s and 60’s. The solution was a new 76,000 square foot building for preschool through 5th grade. The nearby historic Ft. Larned and associated Santa Fe Trail provided design inspiration. The building has three classroom wings which are linked by multi-use “camp” breakout areas. Common use spaces such as the Media Center, Art, Computer, and Student Services are arranged along the main connecting ‘trail’. While Special Education classrooms are dispersed near peer grade classrooms. Higher activity and louder spaces such as the Commons Dining area, Music and Gym are separated from the quieter classroom wings. The gymnasium space is also hardened for a tornado shelter.
The building capacity is 500 students.